Huge Sale
freeEmbroideryStuff.EmbroideryDesigns.com                  CART  |  DOWNLOAD  |  CONTACT
                 WISHLIST  |  MY ACCOUNT  |  LOGIN
Welcome Tab My Account Tab Products Tab Designs Tab Specials Tab Company Info Tab Help Tab FES Tab PrintArt Tab Licensed Designs Tab
Call: 866-451-3900 Satisfaction Guaranteed
1−866−451−3900
FreeEmbroideryStuff
Share Your Work
Embroidery Designs
Licensed Designs
Embroidery Packs
Embroidery Software
Embroidery Equipment
Custom Digitizing
Fonts & Alphabets
Print Art Designs     
Education Materials
What's New
Gift Cards
Embroidery Tools
Freebies
Embroidery Forum

Forums Home    Forum Search   
Forum Topics > Embroidery Techniques > What stabilizer to use for a onsie? > Post a Reply to this Thread
What stabilizer to use for a onsie?
dvhantiques
RE: What stabilizer to use for a onsie?
Sat, Mar 13 2010 3:44 PM

Hi Kadie,
Sorry this reply is late, I didn't know anyone responded. I did get a Gerber onesie (seems pretty thin) to practice on and I did get the Singer ballpoint green 70/09. Also, I hooped a medium weight stabilizer and ironed on sulky totally stable on the onsie. Then I basted the onesie in the hoop and stitched out a monogram. Same results, there are needle holes in the fabric (from the basting too) and the edges of the stitches looked jagged. I'm determined to find a way to make this work. Do you hoop the coffee filters?
You can always e-mail me at dziccardy@live.com in case I don't get notification that you responded to my post.
Thanks,
Deb

Kadiem
RE: What stabilizer to use for a onsie?
Tue, Mar 02 2010 7:44 PM

First off....Congrats on teaching yourself how to monogram/embroider. I have a Futura and according to the type of materials that you us, you should change the type of needle that you use as well. There are many types of needles for different fabrics and when you use them they will leave needle holes in the materials.

You may have pulled too tight in the hoop so next time just stretch the material out until it is not super tight but not too loose either. I use 2 coffee filters on onesies. I know it is unconvientional but it works, plus when it is washed most of the left over washes away. Try it on the tshirt that you are talking about but most certainly change the needles. I use the Singer Orange size 11 or Green size 9 for tshirts and onesies.

Kadie

dvhantiques Wrote:
I have just purchased a singer futura and am teaching myself how to embroider. For practice I used an old t shirt similar to the cotton of a onesie. I hooped a medium weight tear away stabilizer and shirt in the hoop to embroider a monogram. I am not satisfied with the quality of the stitching on the shirt. Along the edges of the letters the shirt looks a little puckered with some small holes showing through and some monogram has areas where it looks like the stitches were not close enough. Do you think I pulled the shirt too taut in the hoop where the needle stretched the fabric? Should I use sulky stick stabilizer and not hoop the shirt? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb

dvhantiques
What stabilizer to use for a onsie?
Thu, Feb 25 2010 3:10 PM

I have just purchased a singer futura and am teaching myself how to embroider. For practice I used an old t shirt similar to the cotton of a onesie. I hooped a medium weight tear away stabilizer and shirt in the hoop to embroider a monogram. I am not satisfied with the quality of the stitching on the shirt. Along the edges of the letters the shirt looks a little puckered with some small holes showing through and some monogram has areas where it looks like the stitches were not close enough. Do you think I pulled the shirt too taut in the hoop where the needle stretched the fabric? Should I use sulky stick stabilizer and not hoop the shirt? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb